Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Slack week & job woes

Last week was one lazy week for me. Made a trip to ACMI with Amanda for the 'Dreams Come True' exhibition.


In the exhibition, we get to see the artwork and sketches by the artists/cartoonists, paintings, animations and all that is involved in bringing about the Disney animated films we used to watch growing up like Snow White, Beauty & the Beast, The Little Mermaid and even those that we watch these days like the Princess and the Frog and Tangled(or Rapunzel which is in other countries). It was just a Thursday afternoon after class and I declared it like some Saturday afternoon. At the end there was a drawing room, where people can draw their favorite Disney characters and display it on the wall.



So, we drew ours for fun as well :P





Mine.. lol

Soo.. after that we went out of the exhibition place and came across the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival, where we sat on beach chairs that were weirdly laid out there for nothing and watched a cooking show LIVE.


This pic was taken before the cooking show started. They're playing some Italian-sounding music that made me feel like I'm in Paris haha

After that, spontaneously met up with my friends for dinner and spontaneously decided to catch a movie. We watched Rango, which I thought was a waste of time :S Really didn't liked it at all, maybe I dun like Spanish accent..hmmm or the ugly animals or the lousy plot.

Then Friday came, and instead of doing important things, I dilly-dallied till dinner time and after dinner time, went to a bar called the Red Hummingbird and then it's sleep time alrdy. Another day wasted.. I'm so good at not appreciating time.

Saturday was a little more productive, I think? Woke up earlier than usual and went to Victoria Market and bought a trolley-ful of groceries. It takes a lot of effort for me to drag myself all the way there, just to buy meat, veges, fruits, etc.. but most importantly, my main aim there was established; to get oysters! Yumm..



That night, I had dinner with friends I haven't seen in months or half a year at Shoya. It was an awesome possum dinner as it was considered fine dining I suppose. It was a ten-course dinner, Japanese food, all intricately arranged and portioned so small , gourmet style. So yea, was amazed and really happy coz recently I have been complaining about how I've never been to fine dining places before and would love to try doing that some day:D

Attended this recruitment talk by Ericsson yesterday and last week to a Careers Fair. These days I've been swamped by job talks. People around me are getting hired, looking for jobs, etc. Sigh.. feeling so left out. And even those who haven't got jobs at least had internship experiences. And people who get hired, they get hired by big companies. I've got friends who got hired by KPMG, Accenture, Intel, PWC, IBM, National Australia Bank (NAB)... and has gone through interviews with Boeing(the aeroplane company), Campbells' soup.. oh my god.. I don't know how to describe how intimidating all these are. It's as if it's so easy to get in when it sure as hell is SO not easy. Have been thinking of applying for jobs before I graduate but it's not that possible at the moment.

In Australia, big companies love offering graduate programs. I don't know about other countries yet, coz I haven't researched.. but it's very very common here. Graduate programs are full-time jobs, but they rotate you around the company so you get a feel of each department of the company, this would take about 1.5-2 years before you advance on, without training. So, the recruitment for these graduate programs are very sought after by all final year students. Usually they give priority to Australians/PRs to apply in March(which is about now), then by 3 weeks, after going through resumes would then call applicants up for phone interviews, group interviews, and finally an offer will be made around May. Isn't that so efficient?? Before you even graduate, you know you're hired to work next year in February in the company already, wat a relief it would be if I could get hired that way. But I CAN'T! All because I don't have a PR at the time of application, which is usually March/April. Even if you aren't a PR, they would want you to have like a receipt/evidence that you're applying for it at the time of application. WTH.. how is that even possible? I can't apply for PR until I graduate end of this year anyway. So, in other words, these graduate programs are not applicable to me.. sigh! If there's graduate programs in Singapore, maybe I'll give it a shot and apply for several companies before I graduate.

Friends have been telling me about common interview questions, how to answer them, what to wear. And work stories such as about colleagues, managers, attire, culture, casual Fridays, lunch times, I always hear are making me so jealous! I wanna work.. I wanna have income!

Well, no point ranting. Just gotta wait. And I really hope I get into a good company to start, despite my really ugly academic transcript. I've been told everytime I ask if academic excellence affects application consideration and they always say the same thing -> "Not really, we're looking for well-rounded people. People who don't only do well in studies, but are able to communicate with people and are proactive, etc".... Hope that is true, because I seriously can't rely on my academic performance to get a job.


No comments:

2020 First Post

So 2020 started badly overall for everyone, with world disasters keep coming. However I didn't think it was bad as I was still looking...